Many feet make light work

Many feet make light work

Earthen Built by Kata Polano

Welcome to the portfolio for Earthen Built.
Follow this link to go to the main website for Earthen Built.

Mar 24, 2010

OUR Love Nest - Summer, 2008


Between the two greenhouses is where the Love Nest makes it's home.


There sat a bench. It was cold, sad, and unfinished. There had been big dreams for this bench to be a beautiful part of the garden. It was to also be a heat sink for the beds behind it. It was started, and a lot of hands loved it and sang and built. And then it sat. Two months passed...

We, at OUR Ecovillage, were preparing for a cob workshop. There were many hands, and more to come. The garden bench was to be loved again! I got the honour of making sure this happened. Participants showed up and I took some of them around to search for interesting artifacts that could possibly be made a part of the structure. The flow really got going with a few sketches, the expansion of the stone footings, and the addition of the four cedar posts. The simple bench was fast becoming a cozy little garden nook!

The ladies that stuck with the project for the length of the workshop were a lot of fun, and we got so much built in just the few days they were there. I hope they have continued to get their feet dirty!

Later we had a PDC (permaculture design course) and were able to start on the finish plaster, with many artistic features from a variety of collaborators. Brandy came up with some sweet little red heart-shaped glass pieces, and on one of my walks around the property I stumbled upon a fallen birds' nest. The Garden Bench soon became known as the Love Nest. We had a beautiful salmon coloured clay on hand, so I opted to use it as our base, adding a bit of orange pigment, getting the playful colour of the finish coat. I also used some lighter alizes to create just the right amount of contrast to some key areas. The walls got a weather seal and the bench got a few good coats of linseed oil for durability.
This was a very fun and inspiring project, being my first big project that I got to co-lead with Elke Cole. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

No comments: