Many feet make light work

Many feet make light work

Earthen Built by Kata Polano

Welcome to the portfolio for Earthen Built.
Follow this link to go to the main website for Earthen Built.

Mar 21, 2011

Kitchen Fix ~ Ojai, CA

I lived in Ojai California for a brief stint in 2010. I really lucked out and ended up renting a room at a place that didn't quite have a name but that some of us started referring to as River Bottom Sanctuary. The house had seen a number of artists come and go, many of whom left their mark on the walls. The landlord was very open to this form of a "guest book", and quite marvelled in the animation that the place took on when the walls were getting a makeover. There were a few things that I did while living there, such as helping a room mate repaint some of the deep dark purple on the living room walls, and brighten up the bathroom with some fun yellow and blue paint. I spent the majority of my time in the yard, tending to and creating new garden beds.
The thing that most excited everyone though was when I decided that it was long overdue that the kitchen get an actual back-splash. Being the natural plasterer that I am, I of course opted to plaster the area. I went with a lime plaster because of the high moisture and traffic in a kitchen. The walls also needed to be able to be wiped clean from kitchen goodness. Luckily, I had some lime I had been toting around with me in my truck that had been slaking for many many months.
I whipped up a batch and got to work. Below are the photos I have of this project.

Before lime plaster. This was all there was for years.

Desperately needing something done.

Lime done, pigment next.

The lime went on and set nicely. What an improvement.

I set a tile in above the stove and then did a nice yellow lime wash for some colour. This really helped complete the kitchen!

No comments: